Library Used Book Haul!

 

When 2020 hit one thing became abundantly clear—I needed more kid books. 

Growing up in New Jersey, you become used to power outages and prepare for the very real possibility of getting snowed in for several days. So, as a married woman I figured part of homemaking extended to preparing for such circumstances, and emergency preparedness included a healthy, dynamic library. I did the best I could with a budget even smaller than you can imagine, but I did not have more than a dozen or so kid books.

Then the 2020 shut down hit. I finally had a child old enough to enjoy being read to, and said child didn’t just enjoy the occasional story, but thirsted for being read to. Which meant reading the same dozen or so books over and over and over again. 

I thought I was going to go crazy! I had several of the books memorized!

As soon as the library was open again, I regularly prowled their used book sale area…and because it was one of the few places open, I started going once a week. I am happy to report that if we were stuck at home again (hopefully because of a lot of snow), we will not suffer for want of good books!

Perhaps in a future post, I’ll outline my process for choosing books to add to our library. I’m actually quite picky and far more don’t make the cut than do. We’re homeschooling, so books play an additional role for teaching, and I’ve been beefing up that aspect of our library as well.

What about you? Find any good used books lately? I’d love to hear about it in the comments.

Comments

Popular Posts