Redwall Book Review

 

I read this book so long ago that the only part I could remember was the battle cry, “Log-a-log-a-log!” Since I’m building out a homeschooling library, I thought I’d revisit the Redwall universe to see if it was up to snuff. Well, in so doing, I learned two things. One, “Log-a-log-a-log” isn’t actually a battle cry (my apologies to everyone in gym class…). Two, what a freakin’ awesome book!

If I were to describe the first Redwall book in one sentence, it would be, “Imagine if all the action in The Lord of the Rings took place in Hobbiton…but with animals.” The Redwall universe if truly delightful and such a pleasure to escape to in our chaotic, uncertain, and (at times) ugly world. It’s the perfect read for a lazy summer afternoon. It has a strong sense of community and reveling in the simple pleasures of life.

However, the book certainly isn’t all sunshine and roses, Cluny, the main villain, is one of the most evil, frightening, cruel villains I have ever encountered (that includes you, Lord Voldemort!). He rocks as a villain and allows readers to deal with some very mature, frightening, horrendous things in a safe way. He’s a rat for goodness sakes. That being said, I skipped over the Cluny parts when I read passages to my four-year-old. Yeah, he’s that bad.

Not only is the story compelling and moves at a quick pace, but the writing is top-notch. Some of the descriptions are just breathtaking. Certainly storytelling at its finest! I can’t recommend this book enough and I look forward to revisiting Redwall soon :) 

Comments

Popular Posts